Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Toilets and Stuff

A few years ago, I was at work. I called home on my lunch to have my wife tell me that the toilet was plugged up. 'No bigs' I said. I will fix it when I get home. I got home that evening and, like a man, pulled up my pants, grabbed the toilet plunger, and prepared for battle.
I opened the lid to the toilet and looked in....Oh yeah, it was plugged. I jammed my weapon into mouth of evil and began to fight the battle of the bowl. It wasn't pretty. I shed all of the big three: blood, sweat, and tears. I eventually pulled the toilet off of its place on the floor and took the fight outside. Armed with a garden hose and gumption, I was determined to defeat this Evil. It was a messy and unpleasant job and I had to shower twice, but I won!
I thought about this today as I was thinking about something Pastor Sam said on our Christmas Eve service. "God is not afraid to step into your mess!"
I know how I felt coming home that night. I was not looking forward to putting my hands into that toilet. Part of me was afraid that I either couldn't do it or that I would break the toilet. But, I HAD to do it!
That's not God! Not only is He NOT afraid, He WANTS to step into our mess. He loves it, because, often times, it is when we are buried in our own mess that we come to Him more!
I don't regularly write serious (OK, semi-serious) posts, but I really felt the need to write this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a father of seven awesome kids, and the husband to the most understanding wife ever!