Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 15, 2009

New Beginnings

About five years ago, we lived in Burr Oak, Indiana, just outside of Culver. We had several cats and dogs, and fed several outdoor cats. Melissa took a real liking to one of the outdoor cats, and in turn he took a liking to her...however, human contact was not one of his fortes.

One day, we noticed he was not around anywhere, and he was always around. Later in the day, we saw laying on the porch, and upon further investigation, we could tell he was very ill. we took him to an old time vet in Winamac.

When the vet looked him over, Melissa asked,"Well, what can we do?"

He looked straight at my wife and without missing a beat said,"Go home, and dig a hole."

Isn't it funny the things you remember? I can't remember over half of my teacher's names, nor can I remember what I had for dinner last Wednesday. But, I remember that. And so does Melissa.

We have seven kids, four cats, and a house. Our story, which I will go into later, is one of hope, heartache, despair, and ultimately, redemption. Redemption through Christ! BUt, at our lowest times, we always remembered Doc Brockett's advice...dig a hole.

We all dig holes for ourselves...we put our foot in our mouth, we pay a bill late and get late fees, we let relationships go to the point of no return. The problem with these holes is that, more times than not, we don't know we are digging it until we can't see out the top. Only when we can see the tiny light at the top of our pit do we say, what have I dug myself into?

For us, it was the love of God and an AWESOME church. For different people, it is different things. I always suggest the love of the Lord, but honestly, it is different for different people.

Prologue...Yin, the porch cat, died the next day. And we buried him next to the garage. But, his contribution to our lives, as small and unintentional as it was, remains solid.

Dig A Hole is a way of life, an "anti-motto" if you will. RIP Yin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a father of seven awesome kids, and the husband to the most understanding wife ever!